This recipe is healthy made with wheat flour and yields a soft and moist bread. If you like sweeter bread add more honey or brown sugar and if you want less sweet you can omit the honey.
Also it can be made eggless as well as with eggs. Do not over bake as that can dry out the bread.
This stays good for 2 to 3 days at room temperature and about 5 days in the refrigerator.
- ⅓ cup olive oil or any flavor less oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs or if not using eggs 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce plus 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecans or chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 160.
- Mix in the oil, sugar and honey till combines.
- Break in the eggs one at a time or if making eggless add the applesauce. Mix till combined. Add in the mashed bananas as well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Add the flour in three additions,mixing well after each addition.
- If adding the nuts or choco-chips, then mix one tbsp flour to the nuts and the combine in the batter.
- Transfer to a 9 by 5 loaf pan and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Enjoy with milk, tea or coffee.
The bread in the pictures is made with eggs and I haven’t added any nuts or choco-chips.
Also I haven’t mashed the bananas completely and kept it chunky as we like it that way.