- Step 1 : Soak the chickpeas for 8 to 12 hours.
- Step 2 : Wash the chickpeas thoroughly and put in a cooker. Add water till it reaches just a little above chickpeas. Add 1 dalchini, 1 bayleaf, 3 to 4 laung, 3 to 4 whole kali mirch, 1 black cardamom, 1 teaspoon rose petals or 2 tea bags, 1 tsp anardana powder, half tsp baking soda, salt to taste. Close the lid and give exactly 5 whistles.
- Step 3: Once the chickpeas are cooked, open the cooker add 2 tbsp coriander powder, half tsp ginger powder, 1 tsp garam masala, little turmeric, red chili powder as per taste, 1 tsp chole masala optional. Don’t stir this.
- Step 4: Heat 2 to 3 tbsp of ghee. Pour this smoking hot ghee over spices and gently give it a mix.
- Step 5: Heat little ghee in a wok. Add one tsp of cumin and let it crackle. Add puree of 1onion, an inch of garlic and 3 to 4 garlic cloves. Once oil separates, add puree of 2 to 3 tomatoes and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Then add the chickpeas, cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
If you don’t want to add onion, garlic then make a paste of tomato and ginger and cook as directed.
Serve hot with lachha parathas or puri or bhatura.