This recipe gives you a perfect restaurant style taste. Just follow the steps and take care of a few things. first is, do not burn the onions while frying. Secondly, cook the onion and tomato paste very well which easily takes 15 to 20 minutes. Thirdly, keep the crunch in the onions and capsicum which adds so much to the flavor. Lastly add salt only after boiling the cream in the gravy because sometimes salt separates the cream which we do not want. So always take the pan off the flame and add in the cream, stir and take it back on flame. Keep stirring till the gravy starts boiling. Only after this step add the salt.
Also this gravy that we have made can be used for many other vegetables like matar paneer, aloo matar , kofta curries etc.
Try this out and do let me know how you like it.
For the gravy
- Onion 500 grams
- Tomatoes 500 grams
- Oil 1/2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf/Tej Patta 2
- Cumin Seeds/Jeera 1 tsp
- Kashmiri lal mirch powder 1 tbsp
- Turmeric/Haldi powder 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder 1 tbsp
For the Kadhai Paneer
- Capsicum 1 large cut into large squares
- Onion 1 large cut into large squares
- Dried red chili 2
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Saunf 1/2 tsp
- Kalonji 1/4 th tsp
- Garam Masala 1/4tsp
- Paneer 250grams
- Slice the onion lengthwise and deep fry them in oil till golden brown. Put the onions in hot oil only ,otherwise they will absorb the oil and get soggy. Turn the flame to medium low and then let them fry.
- Remove the onion on an adsorbent paper and let cool.
- Now make a smooth paste of the fried onions and raw tomatoes adding little water at a time as needed.
- In a heavy bottomed pan add oil and let it heat up. Add in tejpatta (bay leaves) and jeera (cumin seeds).
- Reduce the flame and add ginger garlic paste. In a bowl make a paste by adding the red chili powder, haldi powder and coriander with 2 tbsp. water, add to the pan and cook till the ginger garlic paste releases oiḷ
- Now add the onion tomato paste and one cup of water and let it come to a boil. cover the pan and reduce the flame and let it cook for around 15 minutes till the oil separates. Stir once in between to make sure the gravy doesn’t stick to the bottom. Remove the gravy to a bowl. You can store this gravy in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days and make other vegetables with the gravy as well.
- Again in a heavy bottomed pan add oil. To it add the dried red chillies and saunf and kalonji. Add in the cut capsicum and onion and cook till onion gets pink and is still crunchy.
- Add in the gravy and cook for a minute. Add in the cream and then add the salt and garam masala. Lastly add paneer cubes,cook for a minute and serve hot.
Serve with poori, roti, naan or lachha paratha.