- 400 grams whole wheat flour
- 100 grams all purpose flour
- 400 ml lukewarm water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp active dried yeast or instant yeast
- Flaxseed 3 tbsp. plus more for rolling over the bread crust
- Mix the water with the yeast and leave for 10 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- Mix the flour,flaxseed and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast/water and the oil. Mix to form a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl, cover and put in a warm place to allow the dough to double in size.
- Knock back the dough on a floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Press the dough out into a rectangle with the short side being the same size as the long side of your loaf tin. Roll the dough up starting from the short side. Tuck the ends under.
- Place the dough in a lightly-greased loaf tin, cover with lightly-oiled plastic wrap and allow to rise until it just fills the tin.
- Bake the bread at 180°C oven for 35-40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Brush with butter and let it cool.
- Slice the bread only when it cools down completely.